Discus delivers fast, accurate, and non-invasive measurements of soil moisture and texture from the surface, removing the need for sample extraction, calibration, or radioactive sources.
Discus Applications Include:
- Geotechnical and roadbed investigations
- Compaction monitoring and analysis
- Agricultural characterization of soils
- Non-destructive testing of concrete
- Assessment of thaw water in permafrost
- Carbon cycling characterization of soils
- Infiltration assessment and monitoring
Discus Measurements Provide:
- Direct quantification of soil moisture
- Bound versus mobile water classification
- Estimation of permeability & pore size
- Completely non-invasive investigations
- No radioactive sources or licensing
- No calibration for moisture content
Precise Soil Moisture Sensor
Discus provides determination of soil moisture (water content) at discrete depth intervals. The NMR relaxation me distribution also indicates the pore size distribution and soil characteristics.
Safe and Simple Operation
By eliminating nuclear sources, Discus eliminates the need for costly regulatory compliance and licensing. Easy-to-use software produces clear readouts of moisture content and soil properties.
Fast and Accurate Water Detection
The NMR signal measured by Discus is emitted directly by hydrogen nuclei in water, allowing direct determination of water content without any need for lithologic calibration. Typical scan times are just a few minutes.
High resolution depth profiling based on MRI scanning technology allows the user to quantify variations in soil characteristics as a function of depth in complex heterogeneous environments.
Discus data distinguishes water bound in small pores from mobile water in large pores enabling classification of soil type and prediction of dynamic behavior.
The flexible control unit can be used to operate interchangeable sensors including surface scanners with varied sizing and miniature downhole probes. Reference sensors enable adaptive noise cancellation to mitigate noise interference.†
Frequency: 175-475 kHz
Depth Range: 1-9 inches
Lateral Sensitivity: 20 inches
Scan Speed: 2 to 8 minutes
Weight: Less than 25 kg
Communication: USB to PC
Power: Swappable Battery
† Protected by US Patent: 8,816,684 B2
Patents: US8816684, US9429673, US9588068, Additional Patents Pending
Download a PDF of the Discus specifications.