Vista Clara advanced NMR soil moisture systems deliver fast, accurate characterization of soil moisture by NMR without any need for sample extraction, porosity calibration, or radioactive sources. A flexible modular design allows the user to deploy the non-invasive Discus Surface Sensor or in-situ Dart Probe using same powerful electronics and software.
DISCUS and Dart MEASUREMENTS PROVIDE
- Direct and quantitative determination of soil moisture
- Classification of bound versus mobile water fractions
- Estimation of pore size, permeability, and field capacity
- Freedom from nuclear radioactive sources, sample extraction, and borings
DISCUS and dart APPLICATIONS IN HYDROLOGY INCLUDE
- Geotechnical investigations and road bed compaction analysis
- Agricultural optimization of irrigation and drainage
- Non-destructive testing of concrete and asphalt moisture
- Scientific studies of soil, permafrost, and carbon cycling
How Discus Works
The Discus system operates like an in-side-out MRI. Magnets in the flat Discus sensor polarize water molecules in the soil and internal coils excite and measure NMR signals associated with the water molecules. The signal amplitude directly reflects the quantity of soil moisture and the decay time of the signal reflects the soil texture. By acquiring measurements at different frequencies, Discus obtains a profile of soil moisture at discrete depth intervals.